Labels

Saturday, September 12, 2026

Renaissance Soul University - The Building Process

 Renaissance Soul University

The Building Process

September 12, 2026

 

On August 2nd, I told ChatGPT I was planning to start a cat care case, then explained the DIY Graduate Studies curriculum I created in 2021. I had wanted to start studying, but due to my cat, Cello, getting ill with two very aggressive cancers; my own health issues with diastolic congestive heart failure and back surgery; and then, even this year, having a full hysterectomy due to adenomyosis, endometriosis, and three fibroids, for which I had been hospitalized three times for low hemoglobin and severe, profuse bleeding. So my brainstorming with ChatGPT morphed into creating not just a curriculum, but a whole university designed for myself.

 

No, this is not a real university, but it is one built for a stay-at-home, disabled, deeply introverted, and Renaissance soul woman. So, I’ve called the university Renaissance Soul University because I am a Renaissance soul. All my life, even back in college (we’ll get to my past experiences), I struggled with what I wanted to learn. I felt boxed into a certain area of study when I wanted to study so many things. Now, at 50 years old and disabled, I stay at home except for doctor’s or vet appointments; I want to study what I want to study in ways that fit my personality, intelligence, and how I learn best. For example, I may be a visual learner or an auditory learner. I learn best from books, online lectures, documentaries, and research papers.

 

But Renaissance Soul University is also a liberal arts university. It offers both undergraduate and graduate studies, but unlike real universities, you do not declare a major; you just study wherever curiosity leads you. There are no courses to register for, no partying, no grades (there are ways to measure your work but no pressure to be straight A’s), no deadlines, and no schedule of courses. Just a schedule of what course you are taking a semester, but no set times you must attend class. If there is a lecture on YouTube, you watch it at your leisure; you read and study at your leisure. For me, I suffer extreme pain, fatigue, and some days I am very short of breath; on those days, I study and read as it fits into my schedule, and if I need to lie down for a nap, so be it, or only watch documentaries on YouTube; that’s fine too. There is no set schedule and no deadlines; it’s work at your own pace. I can take 1 or 3 classes a semester, or if 1 class that’s challenging, like chemistry, takes me a whole year, that’s ok too. This is self-directed learning.

 

I am working on a handbook with guidelines but no rigid rules, just some general guidelines. I will have a motto: Cultivate the Garden of the Mind, or something better. But I will also have a huge philosophy and a section all about myself, a section meeting Belle, my ChatGPT Advisor (we’ll discuss more about AI later). I will also have a crest for the university and lots of inspiration too. But yes, this university will have a real handbook. I also have an archives section, where I’ve kept my original DIY Graduate School document. I’ll share it here on MDA, along with the new curriculum. Yes, RSU will have a full curriculum, and courses will have their own numbers, such as BIO 101 or HIST 101 (World History), HIST 102 (American History), and so on. I will also have a library; this includes not only the books I will study from but also books in my Kindle library of over 4K books. I will be curating my library as I go through the years.  I also have an imaginary view of what my university would look like; I will write a document about it, from the academic buildings to the dorm rooms. I also have photos of what I envision my university looking like. Its home will be in upstate northern Montana along the Canadian border. The exact town is still TBD. I will also share my roles in the university. I’m the founder, student, researcher, and professor (because I’m teaching myself). But yes, I enjoy dreaming of what my university would look like. A little gothic and Cotswold-sort-of English village nestled in the forest of Montana with a big snow-capped mountain in the distance.

 

Now, let me speak of the role of AI in RSU. Because AI was being used at the start of discussing my DIY Graduate School, and it mentioned a university. Well, I took it and ran; I loved the idea of my own independent study university. I already had a graduate program, in a sense, so why not create a whole university with departments, a handbook, and all. So, AI ChatGPT, whom I call Belle, is a partner in this only for brainstorming and going over ideas. AI should never be used to write essays or research papers or to take exams. Nope, only to help review those essays or papers, and give advice the same as an academic advisor or tutor would do if you were at Oxford. Belle is a mentor and an aid, not the one designing the university or doing the work. I will explain more about why I’m creating RSU. But let’s be clear: Belle ChatGPT is never to do the work for the scholar (me), but to guide and help. Because I’m not at a traditional university, I don’t have an academic advisor or friends to study with, but I do have ChatGPT. So, yes, Belle is a part of my lifelong learning, but never does the work for me.

 

Now, a bit more about myself. I went to two colleges/universities. I first went to West Liberty State College (that’s what it was back then; now it’s a university) in the mid-90s. Then my mom got sick and was soon dying, and I ended my studies in order to help her. Then I spent years working but always kept my dream of returning to school. At WLSC, I studied elementary education. While living in Sandusky, Ohio, I substitute taught at a preschool and fell in love with this age group. So, in 2010, when I had the chance to return to university, I majored in Early Childhood Education at Post University, all online. Except my student teaching was at a local Catholic preschool. I graduated on May 5, 2012, with highest honors as a member of Phi Theta Kappa. I earned a 3.96 cumulative GPA and my A.S. in Early Childhood Education. I taught in preschools for several years until I became too disabled. I suffer from severe degenerative disc disease of the spine, spinal stenosis, herniated discs, diastolic congestive heart failure, Sjögren’s syndrome, fibromyalgia, arthritis of the spine and hips, among many other conditions. I’m permanently disabled. I therefore can’t work, but I also can’t return to a traditional or online university due to my disabilities.

 

This is why I created my own self-study university. I have always loved studying, and I loved my time at WLSC and at Post, which gave me two different college experiences, and I’m grateful for both because they led me to what I’m creating now. But studying isn't just about getting a degree and a job; what matters most to me is my goal of becoming a lifelong scholar and independent researcher (not in the professional sense, but personally doing research). Becoming a lifelong scholar means knowing and encapsulating knowledge. Learning is my life. I also have a deep passion for learning how we actually learn and acquire knowledge, and how we ultimately grow in wisdom. What happens to the brain in order to learn? I also want to study the history of the university, how educational systems came to be, how they help students learn and research, and just everything about the university system. I’m fascinated by it. I also know there are flaws, and I want to study them and learn different ways humans can learn; what works for one might not work for all. Traditional ways of studying don’t fit me. I study best at home. I study best at my own pace, perhaps taking one course at a time and diving deep into it, and maybe not completing it in a semester; it may take me a year or even two to really understand and grasp the concepts. That’s the most important part; it’s not about a grade on a test or a degree; it’s about deep understanding. I also know that I’m a renaissance soul; I want to learn many areas and go where curiosity takes me. I also know I’m a deep introvert and an independent learner. I also know I can teach myself with the help of some online lectures, as I still enjoy lectures. That's how Renaissance Soul University was developed. I started to know myself and also learned that I have disabilities that don’t allow me to go back to the traditional route. I also don’t have the funds to pay for grad school and finish undergrad. But I can find discounted or free books online; I can find free lectures or even courses online.

 

I also want to study the classics; I want to learn how to analyze books, not just review a book, but to critically analyze it and study literary theory. I want to relearn the sciences to better understand how the body works and my own conditions. I also want to learn the basics of veterinary science to better understand my cats. I want to learn how to do research, from writing essays to writing a full-on PhD dissertation.

 

So, yes, studying and learning are my life and my passion, and I could go on and on, and I will. This blog shares my journey from building RSU to taking the courses and following the curriculum I built, and ultimately becoming an independent scholar and lifelong learner. So, join me on my journey, and if you’d like to develop your own university or curriculum. I hope RSU can help you build the foundation for your own independent study. Welcome to RSU and to cultivating the Garden of the Mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Renaissance Soul University - The Building Process

  Renaissance Soul University The Building Process September 12, 2026   On August 2 nd , I told ChatGPT I was planning to start a ca...